Build The House
Creating a Social Settlement House for the 21st Century
It’s time to Build The House.
@The House, inc., is seeking operational and capital funding to make its vision of a Social Settlement House for the 21st Century a reality.
In partnership with Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc (CHAI) and RM Sovich Architecture, we’ve developed plans to create a building at 5345 Denmore Avenue, a vacant city-owned lot in a perfect location to serve the Arlington community — close to public transportation and within walking distance to Arlington Elementary School.
Consistent with the founding principles of the early social settlement houses of the late 19th- and early 20th-centuries, the building will be intentionally designed to feel like a house — not like a government agency or institution — with the flexibility to meet the needs of families and children based on different programming and times of the year.
With your help, Build The House will be Baltimore’s first Social Settlement House for the 21st Century, and serve as a national model for urban community development, outreach, and empowerment.
Build The House Programming
The facility’s flexible, handicap-accessible design will accommodate a wide range of services, including:
- After school tutoring
- Job readiness training and additional educational supports
- Family case management services
- A food pantry
- Laundry and bathing facilities
In addition, a podcast studio will allow students to learn how to create and record music, create and manage podcasts, and communicate with community members through broadcasting — bringing the social settlement house firmly into the 21st century.
- Neighborhood Mediation services
- Police and Community Re-engagement Hub
- Mental/Physical health assessments and referral services
- Assistance with navigational support for accessing government services
- Neighborhood home ownership and rental education and referrals
- Case management and community referral support for families, youth and senior neighbors.
- Small Group training and workshops for financial education, CPR/First Aide, cooking, technology, resume development support and employment referrals etc.
Goals of the Project
- To help develop and increase a good relationship amongst neighbors through mediation services.
- To foster a better relationship between the community and the Police Department with visibility and accessibility.
- To help neighbors access needed support/services and the ability to navigate through the sign up process.
To assist our youth and seniors to develop personal goals and a plan and resources to help obtain those goals.
- To provide mental and physical health education, assessment and referrals to neighbors with a need.
- To provide a facility in which services can be accessible in walking distance in the community as well as a small personal space to meet.
5324 Cuthbert Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21215
Future Site: 5345 Denmore Ave.